This year, the "Saber" Marching Band is comprised of 77 winds,
15 percussion, 19 color guard, and 2 Drum Majors. In 1999,
the band made its first
appearance in the "University of Hawaii Rainbow Marching Band
Festival," and received superior and excellent ratings.
In 2001, the band entered the competition field for the first
in the Kamehameha Schools Tournament of Bands. Most recently, the band took
first in its division in 2007 and received an overall "Superior" rating.
Percussion players and color guard members begin rehearsals in
June while other members begin in
July, and continue until November. Rehearsals are held two to
three times a week after regular school hours. Performances include
the annual Maui County Fair Parade, Maui High School's annual
Homecoming Festivities, and on certain years will take a trip to one
of the many marching band festivals on Oahu.
REPERTOIRE FROM PAST YEARS
2000 - A NIGHT ON BROADWAY
- Medley from Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber
- "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables -
Alain Boublil / Claude-Michel Schönberg
- "Somewhere / Tonight" from West Side Story -
1999 - LA MER
- "La Mer" - Claude Debussy
- "Victory at Sea" - Robert Russell Bennet
- "Parade of the Tall Ships" - Jay Chattaway
- "Hymn to the Sea / Hard to Starboard" from
Titanic - James Horner
- "Russian Sailor's Dance" from The Red Poppy -
Rainbow Invitational Marching Festival -
Nov. 1999 - Last Set
1998 - BLAST TO THE PAST
- "I Can See For Miles"
- "Light My Fire"
- "A.D. 1928 / Rockin' the Paradise"
- "Do You Wanna Dance"